• RSS

06 May, 2012

Oh Good, More Shoulds for Women

Have you already seen this article telling women what they should have and know by the time they're 30? It was originally published in Glamour in 1997, then reprinted by the HuffPo in April 2012. Because in the last 15 years things have not gotten any less heterosexist and materialistic (see my previous post on why we still need feminism today).

What made me mad, too, is that for about a second I actually bought into that original list. You know, as I began reading it, I thought, "Oh, I totally have one of those ex-boyfriends... and I have a bank account... and an awesome resume. I win at being almost-30!" Luckily, I quickly snapped out of it and realized that, holy shit, for that moment I again was forced to define myself through how many men I've had and how much money I'd spent on purses, high heels, and hair appointments (see my previous post on the comment that patriarchy has no gender). Then I sat down and wrote my own little list.

Also luckily, there have been some excellent feminist critiques on that original article, with women and men showing others that it is, in fact, ok to define ourselves through our characters, our strengths, and our connections with others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment